Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Chilean Experience

If I take a moment to reflect on my most recent vacation, I must say that I had the time of my life! It was truly the most amazing, humbling, satisfying, adventurous, indulgent, and breathtaking trip I've ever had and may ever have. Seriously. My wonderful husband, planned and arranged practically the entire trip and much of its success is because of him. However, he could not control the weather, the people we encountered, the feelings I had while interacting with Chileans (particularly Chileans that knew Mason on his mission), or the food we ate. And those things were beyond incredible. We had arranged different activities but we also had free time. It was just so perfect.

A Few Highlights:
  • When we first arrived in Santiago, we had to walk out of the airport and around the parking lot to where some huge tents had been set up as temporary arrival and departure gates. This was done because of the prior earthquake that hit Chile in February of 2010.
  • The first day in Puerto Varas was full of sunshine and yummy food. After settling into the hotel, our first meal was delicious completos down by the gorgeous lake.
  • We spent Saturday in Puerto Montt...travelled by bus (that was awesome and very Chilean) and shopped at the Angelmo market. Later that night at dinner at the cutest restaurant in Puerto Varas, with the most delicious sopaipillas and salmon. We also visited Mason's former bishop and his family. We were invited into their home; this was not only humbling but it was quite a spiritual experience. They have a produce store attached to their house and they sent us on our way with bags of fruit. So amazing.
  • Sunday we were able to go to church and meet some of the most amazing people ever. I felt an amazing spirit in that meeting and truly felt like I belonged. We met, our good friend, Claudia's mother and family at church and they invited us to their home later that night for dinner. We did not realize that we were in for such an incredible bounteous feast. Not to mention, generous gifts when we left. In between church and dinner we travelled to Rio Negro and visited Mamita from Mason's mission and she, again, was amazing and generous with us.
  • Monday we went on an relaxing yet exhilarating sea kayak trip then spent the night in a cute little cabin in the mountains. The next day we went on a high adventure, intense horseback riding trip that left my breathless at times and giddy with excitment at other times.
  • Wednesday we relaxed and spent the day exploring. We had a wonderful time in Frutillar. There we had the most amazing view of the volcano. Due to another invitation, we had another fabulous feast with Claudia's family. That family is simply the most wonderful, entertaining, generous, welcoming, family ever.
  • Thursday and Friday we spent on the beautiful island of Chiloe. We explored, shopped, and ate some delicious food. We also got to experience the Pacific Ocean from a South American point of view.
  • Saturday morning we woke up early, had a breakfast, and drove to the airport.


It was truly an unbelievable trip and I will always cherish the memories we made there. On the plane leaving Chile, I was tired, grateful, but mostly excited to be reunited withmy wonderful little boy. Included our a few pictures of Carson with Grandma and Grandpa Bentley.


Boy, did he love the rocks in front of Grandma and Grandpa's house!

Carson, being spoiled by Grandma and Grandpa...watching cartoons and eating cheetos.
Carson is having a blast with all of Grandma's toys.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a trip. I love your enthusiasm when you talk about it, heck, it makes me want to go. All of the pictures are breathtaking! The B&W of Mason in the Kayak is still my favorite, nicely done. You are gorgeous in all of these pictures Megan! I can tell you had an amazing experience... you sure know how to enjoy life! Looks like Carson had just as much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great experience to visit your hubby's mission! How fun!

    ReplyDelete