Friday, February 4, 2011

"I'm a big boy now!"

I don't have many moments when a light bulb turns on and I have a great idea...but a few days ago it happened and after giving it a go....well, I realized it worked.
Here's the story:
Ever since Carson was 1 year old he has shown an interest in gum. Yeah, that's right, just regular ol' chewing gum. It doesn't have to smell good or even taste good but Carson has always been drawn to gum. He can even tell whether or not you have some gum in your mouth...he will even ask you for it (yes, right out of your mouth...but then again it would suffice if he had his own new piece). Anyway, all this time I have been telling him that when he goes to school he can finally have his own gum. This worked like a charm. There were no hard feelings, no tears, and no fights. He just knew that when he was old enough to go to school and ride in a school bus then he would be old enough for gum too. Beautiful! I'm a genius.
Well, now he is over 2 years old and he is terrorifed of sitting on the toilet to go to the bathroom. I have tried several tactics but nothing has worked. I didn't want to stress the little guy out or traumatize him further so I left it alone for awhile. One day while visiting my parents in Arizona, I decided to start talking to Carson again about going potty on the toilet. However, this time I told him that if he would TRY to go potty then I would give him half of a bubble gum ball. And if he actually went to the bathroom then he could have a WHOLE piece. Let's just say that I have never seen a child do a 180* so fast. INSANE! So it worked. The first day he went #1 six times on the potty and #2 once. HiP HiP HOoRaY!

The other deal we had was that once he went #2, he would get "big boy underpants".


The down side is...our living/travel situation isn't very stable right now. We can't really go diaper free just yet. But the good news is we are a heck of a lot closer than we were. Slowly yet surely.

1 comment:

  1. I. Am. Jealous! Congrats to you and Carson though!!! That is AWESOME. Maybe the next time we see you guys, Carter will be wearing big boy underwear like Carson! :)

    ReplyDelete